Sunday, November 15, 2009

Drama 101

As you may remember, I have taken on a leadership role as a homeschool leader for a large homeschool group. This was not something I was looking to do, it just sort of fell into my lap. And this blog was supposed to be my place to share about this journey through leadership.
Well, the year is half over already. It's been a bit busy as you will see.
So here are the issue I have dealt with this first half of the year:

Safety
Gossip
Having a Student Council
Dancing/Dances
Dating/Dates
Mail/Mail Boxes
Payments and Deposits
Music
Hugging
Budget
Membership
Room Requests/Reservations
Dress Code

I know I could think of more that I am forgetting, but this is the main stuff I can remember at this moment. Every issue has been a learning experience and I have grown from the lessons learned. That is what I try to focus on when dealing with challenges like these.

The biggest lesson I have taken from all of this so far? That parents are the ones usually making non issues an issue rather than the kids. This then starts the domino affect that leads to the kids complaining or spreading rumors, or sometimes setting us adults straight. It has made for a difficult year so far, but one I feel blessed to experience since I am able to take what I learn with me at the end and apply it elsewhere.

Another lesson? I can't wait to find my replacement. I don't mean for that to sound so bad, but with the amount of work one does for this job and the amount of time spent dealing with all the drama, it becomes taxing on the soul. I am also a mom, a homeschool teacher, a substitute teacher, a non-profit board member, a wife, a full time student, care taker to my mother on occasion, and am about to take on volunteering at my church for a counseling program. I have a lot on my plate and dealing with drama is not high on my priority list. So, I will be moving on from this adventure very soon. But until then, I will do my best to continue to share my experiences a little better. So check in soon for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment